I'm Glad You Asked

Most likely you didn't ask, but I'm telling you anyway.

West Ranch Wildcats 15, Saugus Centurions 13

Oh. My. GOODNESS!

Those of you who were at the game will know what I mean by that above quote. This game was a first not only for this team, but for the school itself: it was the FIRST ever Foothill League junior varsity game in the school's history. We knew that Saugus was very happy to introduce us to the league--many of the banners up at the stadium said as much (my favorite Saugus banner, which turned out to be true, was, "We're allergic to kitties." Yes, Saugus, evidently your JV's were).

So to enter the league with a win was very, very big for us.

About the game: as I said to the boys afterward, I would be here for a long time if I listed the individual heroes of the game: Cisneros, Borg, and Kwon all playing hurt; Triple-Threat Brooks deep snapping, punt covering, and intercepting a key Saugus pass; Peterson consistently solid at his end position; Snell, amazing all-purpose running both on offense and on special teams; Choi (Aloo Alualau) refusing to get tired as we went to him over, and over, and over again; offensive line of Lander, Modlin, Pistone, Lee, Boring, Frausto pushing back Saugus when we needed it; Grossman controlling the offense and McGough not only making a clutch catch from Grossman but also running away from defenders and into the end zone.

I am sure I am missing some people--that's what happens when you have a team victory like this.

There is still much to work on: Saugus was heavily defending the run, so we went more to the air than we usually do. Although it paid off when we needed it, we still need to complete passes more often. Also, our tackling (which has never been a problem) suddenly became simply awful. These are areas of growth for us.

Nevertheless, we advance to 5-1, which is a good record, but more importantly, we put the rest of the Foothill League on notice: you ignore West Ranch at your peril.

Next week is a bit of an unusual game for me: we play Hart High School, and as some of you know, I taught there for ten years and was the JV head coach for four years there.

Hart is the only Foothill league team I have never coached against.

The Hart JV's are coached by a good friend of mine.

All of these factors are interesting, to be sure, but what matters most here is that we have a chance to be 2-0 in league and 6-1 overall and prove to the league that this Saugus win was not a fluke.

We've earned the right to be looked at. Now, we must play even better to be talked about.