I'm Glad You Asked

Most likely you didn't ask, but I'm telling you anyway.

West Ranch Wildcats 26, Pasadena Bulldogs 0

It was a pretty good half of football for us on Thursday.

We dropped a little in quality, and certainly dropped in enthusiasm, against our Week 3 opponent. There is still a lot we are doing right, but this was not the same effort we gave against Corona. Our first half score was merely 6-0, and that came from a punt return. I'm not taking anything away from our special teams unit, especially our return man, but the point I am making is it represented ONE play, not a series.

Our second half was significantly better, than the first, as again our opponent handed us opportunities and we took them. We intercepted several passes and gave our offense a short field many times. Defensively, we continued our unscored-on streak, but we were not as dominant as we could have been.

Offensively, we are still too one-dimensional. I take most of the responsibility for that: I am getting better, but I still tend to find what works and stick with it, instead of developing more ways to attack. It's not as if we don't practice other things; I just tend not to call them in a game.

Where we are excelling is on special teams. In two contests now, we have scored on special teams. We ran a fake punt and got the first down (mainly due to a heroic second effort by the runner). In our last two contests, our special teams have not decided the game, but were a major factor in the win.

I know it may seem odd to be so down after what appears to be a dominant, significant win, but I know what is on the horizon. Today's performance will not stack up to Foothill league teams.

It will probably not be enough even for next week's opponent.

But that's why we practice. To get better.

Next week: Glendora!