I'm Glad You Asked

Most likely you didn't ask, but I'm telling you anyway.

West Ranch Wildcats 44, Corona Panthers 0

They say there are three aspects to a football game: offense, defense, and special teams. They also say that if you win two of the three, you will most likely win the game.

If you win all three, you get a rout.

Everything clicked for us Saturday as we took care of the Panthers in very decisive fashion. This is not to say we are perfect: we still have much to work on and improve. But we are not the same team we were against Lancaster.

I don't have my stat sheet with me now, so I am not sure who exactly scored what, but I do know that the first 2007 JV touchdown was scored by Zak Snell. I also know that Snell ran rampant over the Panthers. Our fullback, Choi, was also a machine, churning out the yardage when we needed it.

Defensively, again, it's hard to ask more out of the unit. Again, we scored a safety (the second time in as many games--an impressive stat indeed) and again, we held a team scoreless. Big plays and big hits kept the Panthers reeling.

From a special teams perspective, we kicked what I believe was a twenty-nine yard field goal and kept the Corona offense pinned deep with several booming kicks. We also scored on kickoff, as our cover unit manhandled the ball out of a Panther runner's hands and romped into the end zone.

So, to sum up, we scored 44 points in the following ways:

A safety for 2 points.
A field goal for 3 points.
Three PAT's for 3 points.
Six touchdowns for 36 points.

Total: 44 points.

Incidentally, and forgive me this shameless bit of self-promotion (but it is my blog, after all, and I'm glad you asked!), this win was my 50th game as a JV head coach. My running record is now 38-12, which gives me a win percentage of 76%. Some of you know that number has significance to me, so I thought I'd share it.

Next week: Pasadena!