I'm Glad You Asked

Most likely you didn't ask, but I'm telling you anyway.

West Ranch Wildcats 56, Hamilton Bobcats 16

Well then.

We knew we were in for a bit of a blowout right away.

Put it this way...with exactly three minutes gone in the game (9:00 left in the first quarter) we had run ONE offensive play.

West Ranch 16, Hamilton 0.

Received the kickoff, fair return. Ran one play. 65 yard touchdown. 2-point conversion. Kicked off to them, they ran a 3-and-out series, punted.

Return punt for touchdown. 2-point conversion.

So.

it was 32 to 0 at halftime, and we had stopped trying hard to score and were more or less working on our offense. We put in our second unit players (the guys who back up the main players and who don't usually get in much) and were planning to go the rest of the game with them.

When they gave up 16 points (two touchdowns and a field goal) inside of eight minutes, and had produced NOTHING on offense, we had to go back to the number ones when the score was 32 to 16 and Hamilton was threatening to come back.

I'm afraid I got to be a bit of a meanie when I told my guys to "get back in there and punish these miserable Hamilton bastards for daring to think they had a shot."

So we scored a lot.

Look, I'm not trying to run the score up, but fer God's sake...my number two unit is just awful, and my number ones are fantastic. I could train the two's to get better, but at the cost of not continuing to drill the one's.

Oh, well. A good win, I guess. Those of you who are counting, here are some stats on the year:

Points for: 98 (avg. 49 per game)
Points against: 28 (avg. 14 per game)
Record: 2-0
My lifetime record (I looked it up from my previous years, and lo and behold, I hit a little milestone tonight): 30-12. (win pct .714)

Next Week: Pasadena High School!

As always, I'm glad you asked.